Monday, October 10, 2016

Thankful for this Sunday!

Today, there are so many things for which I am thankful! I was able to start the day participating in a very encouraging worship service at Advent Lutheran Church where my brother works and my parents worship. My favorite song from the morning was new to me, but the words were "I'm no longer a slave to fear, I am a child of God." I think I need to sing those words every day. It was refreshing to my soul! While we were there, I was able to thank the congregation for their support and give a brief ministry update. In between the services, I had a display table out with the necklaces and other things my friends in Buwundo village have made. Many people made donations and took home a piece of jewelry which will help them remember to pray for our ministry there. The congregation is such a welcoming group of people and I really enjoyed our time there! 

After church I was able to enjoy a lunch with my parents and catching up with my brother, niece and nephew. It was so good to be together with my family! Not long after that we drove to my younger brother's coffee shop to see him and his bride-to-be. It is an great little coffee shop called Brew Urban Cafe in Ft. Lauderdale. In between them serving customers, I was able to give them the wedding gifts that the women in My Bible studies sent for them. I wanted to have the time to explain each gift, how they were made and who they were from. Since the wedding day would not afford that time, I gave them the gifts there at the coffee shop. 
It made me so happy to see that my brother and sister-in-law-to-be treasured these special handmade gifts and the generous heart behind them as much as I do. I am so blessed to have such a loving family!

After visiting with both my brothers, we got to visit with both of my grandparents. My mom's mom has had some recent health troubles, but when we went to visit her she seemed so happy and was even up and walking around. Seeing your great-grandkids can definitely bring a smile. Zeke was sacked out due to jet lag, so I just kept carrying him to and from the car as we went around visiting. He has had the most difficulty adjusting to local time. 

Our next stop was visiting my Dad's dad. He was so happy that we were able to have a little time together. He said, "When you're over 90, you don't know how many more times you get to see people." Actually that is true everyday. None of us is promised tomorrow, so I hope to love people well today. 

After all of that driving around and visiting we were all pretty worn out, but I was so thankful for the day. God has graciously blessed me with an amazing family and a special opportunity to be together with them for a little over a week. It is my prayer that I can encourage and love my family well in our short time together. It is also my prayer that Zeke will sleep through the night tonight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment