Thursday, August 18, 2016

Back to school!

Today was a great start to our new school year! This year I have a separate math classroom and more than half of our students are new. It really felt like a first day at a new school! I didn't sleep much last night as I was very excited! When everyone arrived we took a school photo. 

One student was absent because she was sick and another was shy about being in the photo, but you can see how our school has grown! Here is a school photo from just last year.

We can't fit everyone in the same location of our traditional first day photo anymore, so we had to shift to the other side of our school building. 

It was fun getting to know our new students a little bit today! I'm thankful that we are still able to have small classes and time to build relationships with each student. This year I feel like I have the best of both worlds, I get to teach just one class at a time most of the day, but my classes are still small enough to be personal. 

I always enjoy starting the school year by talking with my students about why we study mathematics. My students today had some great thoughts that they wrote. Some of the returning students have heard my thoughts on this topic before, but it was great to see them explaining why it is important rather than me trying to convince them!
Here are some of the things they wrote:

I am excited about the year ahead with this group of students! I am also excited about working with the rest of the teachers in our school! David is a wonderful teacher who helps students study and enjoy science and the humanities. Cody Fox is a great Language Arts teacher who helps our students love literature and grow as writers. Miss Vicky is probably one of the sweetest women I have ever known. She was so great managing many groups of students and making them all feel loved. Here she is with teaching science to most of our elementary students. 
We are so thankful for the way God is growing our school! We love our work teaching missionary kids here in Uganda! We are praying that God will use our school to help each of these students better know Him and be more equipped for the kingdom work He has for each of them! We are also thanking God for all of you who are praying for us and supporting our work here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment