Saturday, May 28, 2016

A day of rest

Our wise Heavenly Father set apart one day a week as a day of rest. We celebrate that day on Sunday, the Lord's Day. But for those who live, work and worship in a cross cultural setting, this rest can be challenging to find. Today is Sunday and before 8am, I have already had someone come to my house asking for assistance to buy a uniform that she needs for going to school tomorrow. Yesterday I had 3 requests from neighbors about helping them in various ways today. Last Sunday David preached. Some weeks I teach children's church with 40-70 children of 3 different language groups in one room. Our worship service is a cross cultural experience that requires a lot of emotional and physical energy to engage. These are all wonderful opportunities to serve, but they can also be exhausting. 

In order to find some time to rest on Sundays, we do close our doors for a few hours in the afternoon and do not receive visitors. We have stopped inviting people over for Sunday lunch because we have realized that our family needs the time to rest. Even with setting these boundaries, it has become evident to me that I need to set apart other times for rest and extended times of prayer and worship in order to be spiritually, emotionally, and physically healthy. 

On Thursday of this past week I took a day away for worship and rest. It was very refreshing and the day flew by. I went to a place nearby called the Rainforest Lodge. True to its name, it is located in the midst of the rainforest. It is a quiet peaceful place with a trail for a walk, benches to sit and rest and a restaurant with delicious food. It is one of my favorite places to go for some peaceful time away. Here is a photo of me on my walk through the forest. I didn't catch any of the monkeys in the photo, but the trees are beautiful!

I am thankful that I was able to take the time away to pray about several things that had been swirling around in my head recently. I also was able to spend a great deal of time thanking God for his many blessings. While sitting on a bench in the rainforest and singing songs of worship, I was overwhelmed by God's loving care for me.
As I looked up at the beautifully diverse canopy of leaves, I saw God's love through creating and sustaining this amazing world. As I read the Bible I was reminded of God's love through his faithful care for his people. And as I wrote in my journal, I remembered the many ways God has shown his loving care to me throughout my life. It was a wonderful day of resting in God's loving care for me! I hope that you are also able to set apart some time to rest in Him! 

"Come to me all who labor and are heavy ladened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28-29

No comments:

Post a Comment