Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Happy Pi Day!

It may seem like our school is just a place of fun and games, but I assure you that most days are regular school days. Today we had planned a regular school day until a friend who came with her kids to observe mentioned that it was Pi day. I can't believe I had forgotten! I love having the kids do various activities with circles learning about the number Pi. For those of you who don't know about Pi day it is March 14 (3.14) A day of fun for all of us math nerds! 

At the last minute I pulled out my Pi ideas and modified the lessons for the day to include a bit of Pi review. 
Finding the diameter of the pot.
Measuring the circumference... Finding that the diameter goes around the circle about 3.14 times. 

Repeating the experiment with the 2nd graders. 
And finishing the day eating peanut butter ice cream pie with a chocolate crust. The chocolate syrup didn't write as neatly as I hoped, especially since the ice cream was very melted, but it still tasted great! Hope you all had a fun day celebrating the mathematical joys of Pi! 



No comments:

Post a Comment