Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Longing for Home


Home. The word carries so much meaning. Home should be a place of feeling loved, secure, safe. One of my children recently said, "I just want to feel like I belong someplace." Don't we all? Our family has stayed in a dozen different "homes" over the past 3 months. Many people have asked various family members if they are ready to go back to Uganda. Each one has expressed in their own way that we are all ready to be settled in one place, to be back home. But when we have to say goodbye to family and friends and re-enter another culture, the home doesn't feel quite complete.

When we first returned to the United States, many people asked if it was good to be home. At that moment I realized that I don't really think on Georgia as home. The culture felt a bit foreign. We didn't have a consistent place to live. And I missed people from across the globe. I am finding that my desire for home is never fully satisfied. When I am here in America, I miss my Ugandan friends, my missionary team, the children of Good Shepherd's Fold. When I am there I miss my family and friends from this side of the ocean.

I think every missionary has probably spent quite a bit of time reflecting on Hebrews 11. We remember in very tangible ways that we are "foreigners and strangers" in this world. But I find great comfort in remembering that we have an eternal home to look forward to. It is easy for me to get wrapped up in making this life our home, wanting stability, comfort, a sense of belonging. And those are good things. I hope all of your homes are characterized by those qualities. I am thankful that our home in Uganda has begun to be a little of that for us. But when we experience the comfort of home in this life, we can remember that it is just a small taste of the amazing, eternal home that awaits those who put their hope in Jesus. In that home there will be no more goodbyes. I won't have to keep moving around and forgetting where I left things. We won't be living out of suitcases anymore.

I look forward to the home described in Revelation 21. God will make his home with his people, and wipe away all our tears. In these last days of furlough when I am shedding quite a few tears, it is good for me to look forward to that day, to remember that my home is with my God. My Abba, Daddy is reminding me that He is where I can find comfort, safety, peace, belonging, and rest. I am at home with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment