Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A day of blessing

Today I am so thankful for many things! Although missionary life in Africa can be challenging at times, today I am realizing my many blessings and the ways God has provided for me. 

Now that Cody Fox has begun teaching Language Arts, my schedule in the afternoons has been so much more flexible. Sometimes that time is used for the paperwork of missionary life. Sometimes it is used for a trip into Jinja to go to a supermarket. Sometimes it is for spending some extra time reading with Ezra or listening to Zeke's stories. Sometimes the afternoon is available to go for a walk to greet people in Buundo. Today I took the afternoon to run necessary errands and to see the dentist who is overseeing my follow-up care for my tongue. 

I am so thankful that God brought our family in contact with an American  missionary dentist who is working in Jinja. It is just another little way I can see God's loving care for us here. I still struggle with some anxiety about my tongue, but it is not nearly as bad as it has been in the past. In recent days the concern has resurfaced as it has been a while since my last check up. Recently my tongue has not been very painful, for which I am thankful, but I still wanted to have a thorough follow-up. The report was that everything looks good and there is no sign of abnormal tissue. I am so excited and thankful! 

Since I left for town in the early afternoon, David suggested that I take some time on my own enjoy a quiet lunch and some relaxing time in Jinja in between my errands. I came to one of my favorite places for peace and quiet. It is a beautiful restaurant called "The Gately on the Nile." It is not actually on the Nile, but across the street from the part of Lake Victoria that leads to the Nile. Today I enjoyed a quiet lunch under a thatched roof in the middle of a garden. Here is my view.

While circumstances seem pleasant today, I am praying that God will also give me peace, joy and faith in the midst of those days that are much more challenging. I am praying for and grieving with some of my friends on the other side of the ocean who have recently lost loved ones, have loved ones who are very ill, or are struggling with their own illness. I am praying that God will teach us all to run to him in the midst of blessings and grief. He is loving and faithful and can bring good even in our darkest hours. 

Speaking of our darkest hours....a storm is brewing and I need to get these errands done and return home....

No comments:

Post a Comment