Sunday, May 4, 2014

No more pain

Early last week, I heard some very sad news. A friend from our church in Georgia passed away. She was a young wife and mother. We were not all that close, but I did attend a Bible study with her when I was in America in January. She and I had some time to talk and reconnect then. It has been hard to grieve from a distance. When you are across the ocean, you cannot attend a funeral, talk with others who are experiencing the same loss, or even comfort the family. I have also been struggling with issues of my own mortality, as she was not much older than I am. 

In the midst of this inner turmoil, the busyness of life continues. We are preparing for a week of testing at school and this coming weekend will be a huge celebration for GSF's 20th anniversary. I will write future posts about these two events. Even though I have been taking time alone with the Lord, praying for this family, and reading His Word looking for comfort, I have still really struggled this past week. I have had several nights of not sleeping well, and many tears throughout the days. I even considered staying home from worship today in order to get some needed rest. 

I am so thankful that, instead, I went to worship with God's people. It is hard to continue in sadness when you attend a worship service at Light of the World Church. There is much dancing and jumping and singing and clapping unto The Lord. We were encouraged in our worship by Pastor David, pictured below.

Today we were also blessed to have Wayne Walker, founder of GSF, pictured on the left, with us visiting. He shared encouragement to remember and rest in God's love for us. Hearing these two men speak of God's loving care for them, helped me realize that the pain in my tongue and my trouble talking is so minor. You may not be able to tell from the photo, but Wayne Walker is paraplegic, and Pastor David walks with crutches on both arms due to polio. Many people have been through so much more and have continued to cling tightly to the promises of God and have been used by him in mighty ways for the building of his kingdom. Even before the sermon, during our first hour of worship, I was very encouraged. 

For the past several Sundays, our pastor, Jonathan, has been preaching about the Presence of God. He said that today will be the last sermon in this series. He began the series talking about the unapproachable holiness of God. He continued by preaching about how this holy God, came down to us, in the person of Jesus reconciling us to the Father. Then, when Jesus rose again, he said that he was leaving in order for us to have something even better, the Presence of God within us, the Spirit, who is our Comforter. This week he reminded us that although having the Spirit is good, we still live in this broken world and are broken people. He encouraged us with the amazing truths of Revelation 21. This was exactly what I needed hear. These words brought joy to my heart! I will include these verses for you. 

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. (Revelation 21:1-6 ESV)

I cried my way through most of the sermon. It is so good to be reminded that my Heavenly Father will wipe away every tear from my eyes. I look forward to the day when there is no more pain! The pain in my tongue will be gone, and the emotional pain so many people are going through will be gone! This truth brings me joy and hope in the midst of my struggles. I had one night recently when I woke and my tongue did not hurt at all. Of course once I started talking to the child who woke me, the pain returned, but that brief, conscious moment of being pain free brought me hope. I am so glad to remember that even if the pain continues for the rest of this life, there will be a day when those who are God's children will have no more pain! And the best part... We will be his people, he will be our God, and he will dwell with us forever! We will be in the Presence of God forever! I hope that you will also take great comfort from this truth today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment