Saturday, March 1, 2014

Missing family and friends

I have now been back here in Uganda for 1 full month. There are many things I love about life here, the beautiful country where things grow so well, the children we live beside, the way my whole family can work together in school and in loving on the children at the orphanage, my team, our church in the village, our new friends here, the great produce (I just had the best mango ever), the things my children are learning, and the list goes on. But this past week, I have really been missing my family and friends in the US.

I know that I have so much to be thankful for, but after having a month of time reconnecting with my American family and friends, I am really missing them/you. Many people asked what I thought would be the most challenging part of missionary life. There are many cultural adjustments and in general life has many fewer conveniences than in America. The hardest part for me, though, has been moving away for my wonderful friends, our church family, and our parents. The month of January reminded me of how richly blessed we our with supportive family and friends. 

As I was reading yesterday morning in Mark chapter 10, I was encouraged by a promise Jesus gave his disciples. Here it is:

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first.” (Mark 10:29-31 NIV)

Leaving "home" has been hard for me, but I am clinging to this promise. Jesus told his disciples that he will bless them, both in this life and the life to come. 

I also listened to a sermon today by Ray Cortese from Seven Rivers Presbyterian Church in which he talked about John the Baptist asking Jesus if he was really "the One." (Matthew 10) Basically, the sermon was a reminder that if Jesus truly is "the One" all of life should be about living for him. When we realize that he truly is our Saviour, that changes everything! I was reminded that we came here because we believe that this is what He wanted us to do. Our time here has been at times hard and lonely, but I am certain that this is the work my Saviour has for me. Knowing that he willingly gave up heaven to come to earth and gave up his life so that I could be his child reminds me why I left my comfortable life. 

I still struggle with that decision at times like when I am particularly missing my family and friends.  But I know that this is where God wants us to be for the sake of his kingdom. The work here at Good Shepherd's Fold is so needed. It is heartbreaking to see how children arrive so sick and malnourished. And when they come to GSF they are shown the love of Jesus and taught about his love for them in the gospel. As they grow, our goal is to make disciples who will then go out and impact Uganda and the world. For the missionaries here to continue this good work, they need us to teach their children and serve in other supporting roles. So while I am sad missing family and friends, I am also fully convinced that this is where I need and want to be! 

This is a photo of Elijah and Esther's Sunday School class. I had the privilege of filling in as the substitute for Corinne a couple weeks ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment