Monday, February 24, 2014

Much to be thankful for!

Recently I have been realizing so many things that I have to be thankful for. I just woke in the night with a disturbing dream and am unable to settle my mind enough to sleep, so I thought this would be a good time for me to write about these many blessings. 

First, I am thankful for good health. Several people have been asking about how Elijah is doing. He has fully recovered and is back to running around and playing with friends. Also, my tongue is healing and I am not needing to take pain medicine as often. Yesterday I only needed it at dinner. I am also not struggling as much with my lisp. I am still praying that it will clear up completely. There is also a missionary doctor in Jinja who has agreed to do my 3 month check ups. For all of these things I am very thankful! 

Secondly, I am thankful for progress in house plans. David has followed up with checking some references for this foreman from our church in Jinja; it sounds like he is a man of integrity who does good work and does it quickly. They are hoping to meet again this week to discuss more details about him building our house. David also has a meeting scheduled with a solar power company in Kampala. We are thankful and excited to see things moving forward even while we wait on the land dispute to be resolved! 

I am also very thankful for electricity! Since I have been back in Uganda, we have had fairly consistent electricity. It is so nice! I love having a fan on at night to keep the air cooler and to muffle the sounds. I love that things stay cold in my refrigerator and don't spoil so easily. And I really enjoy being able to turn on a light or charge my phone or use the copy machine for school whenever. Electricity is such a blessing! 

I am also thankful for the joy of gardening. Over the past 6 months or so, we have been developing a flower garden around the school. There are so many plants that grow well here! We have really enjoyed adding beauty to the area around the school and working on this project. I like to stop at roadside nurseries and can buy plants for about the equivalent of 40 cents that would cost $10 in the states. Yesterday I had so much fun planting in the early morning and late afternoon. Here is a picture of one area of our garden. 

On Saturday night, actually Sunday morning at around 3am, a fire was started in the sugarcane on our farm. We are all so thankful that our security staff spotted this, woke many in staff housing and called some staff who live in the neighboring village and they were able to put it out. There was not too much loss of our crop here. I am thankful that so many people would get up in the middle of the night to come help put out the fire! We don't know how or why it was started, but we are thankful that it did not spread far, particularly since it has been the dry season. I am also thankful that the rain have begun since many plants are dry and many people are without clean water right now. 

I am thankful that after a while of being awake last night, I was able to go back to sleep. I am still a bit tired this Monday morning, but I am thankful for a new day to serve the Lord here at Good Shepherd's Fold! 

"Count your blessings. Name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God has done!"

No comments:

Post a Comment