Monday, January 6, 2014

Thoughts about stuff

After living in Uganda for 6 months, my first trip to Walmart last week was a bit overwhelming. It was amazing how my mind and emotions went crazy. My first thought was, "I can't believe all this stuff. Who needs all of this?" Then in only a matter of seconds I began thinking, "I want this and that and I can't get that in Africa." So I moved from judgmentalism to coveting very quickly. Then I began thinking, "If I spend money on all of this stuff, it is less money that I can share with those in need." So my coveting led to guilty feelings. Then I finally decided that I just needed to leave the store.

I have been trying to think and pray about this experience, wondering what the most biblical response would look like. This morning I began reading Elise Fitzpatrick's book, Because He Loves Me. I have only begun the book, but it seems that her main point is that the love of God for us, demonstrated through the work of his Son, Jesus, is the source for all of life. I began to contemplate, "How would remembering the love of God for me in Jesus change the way I looked at my experience in Walmart?" I think that is probably a question I should be asking myself about many of life's experiences, but I will begin by thinking through my day at Walmart.

As I think about my tendency to focus on "things", I need to remember that I have everything I need in Jesus. I have eternal life. I have a friend who loves me at all times. I can have joy in this life because the God who is in control of all things is working for my good. I don't need "things" to bring me comfort and joy, I have the love of the God of the universe! In Philippians 4:20, the apostle Paul says, "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus." This verse does not mean that God has promised me great wealth, instead God has promised me the richness of life with him. The joy of walking with the God in this life is greater than the happiness that any material possessions could provide. 

While I still struggle with coveting when I walk into stores here in America, I also have realized that I do not regret anything that I have given away or sold to move to Uganda. We downsized our life to what we could fit into trunks that we took on an airplane, and honestly there are very few things that I have even thought twice about. God has also given us opportunities to share clothes and toys with those around us in need and we have probably cut our possessions in half again while in Uganda. There have been times when I have thought, "I wish I would have given this person this or that." But there has not been once that we wished we had kept more things for ourselves. It is just very freeing to think more about what I can give to those around me than I think about what I want. 

In American culture we are bombarded with advertisements that agree with our sinful nature that we always need more. It is so easy to get caught up in "wanting." But the apostle Paul says that we can be content whether "living in plenty or in want." I wonder how the world would be different if we (followers of Jesus) actually were willing to sell all we have, give to the poor and follow Jesus. (Matthew 19:21) Even if we were willing to sell only the extra stuff that we don't use that often and don't really need, but instead choose to sponsor a child with that money, imagine the difference that could make in the world. There are children that live next door to my family, who would have literally starved to death, but instead because of the ministry of Good Shepherd's Fold, these children are alive, are being loved and cared for, are receiving a good education, are hearing and responding to the gospel and are growing up into people who will impact Uganda for Christ. If you want to sell some of what you have and give to the poor, I would encourage you to consider whether you could downsize your life by $35 a month. Here is a link to the GSF sponsorship page. There is a brief video on that page with some of the kids in the sponsorship program. 

Whether you choose to sponsor a child or not, we all need to remember that that everything we have is from the Lord. Even if we have worked to earn that income, then it is God who gave us the ability and strength to do that work. "The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world and all who live in it." Psalm 24:1. From the time my children were old enough to say the word "mine," we would respond, "No. Whose is it really?" And they would answer "God's." Then we would say,"And God has graciously shared it with you, so what does He want you to do with it?" "Share it."  I think we all need reminders at times of the things we learned as two year olds. 

I am sure that I will continue to struggle with this issue. You may run into me overeating at a restaurant, or stocking up on items I think I "need" to bring back with me. But I am thankful for the reminder that my God has met and will continue to meet "all my needs through his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Phil.4:20)

3 comments:

  1. I love the "mine" lesson. Must implement that with Eli and Åsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. Praying for your surgery and time here.

    ReplyDelete