Sunday, November 17, 2013

Prayer

Being in a place where I daily realize that I am not in control, has led me to be more dependent upon prayer. There are so many things beyond my control! This weekend I have seen so very many needs that I have been a bit overwhelmed. But it has also been a good reminder that I need to talk to the One who is in control. 

The church we have been attending here in Jinja has a practice of asking for any praises or prayer requests from the congregation during the worship service. Ezra has twice raised his hand to ask the whole church to pray for other children he knows who are sick. I love the faith and compassion God has given that boy. This is our last week of regular attendance here since we will be shifting (aka moving) to campus and attending the local village church. Since it was our last week here, I asked for prayer for my family as I go back to America for my tongue. The pastors prayed for all of the requests shared, but after that they came over and laid hands on me and prayed specifically for me. The tears were pouring down as I was so thankful for the prayers of the church. 

I know that many of you have also been praying for our family. I wanted to share some of my specific requests so that you could pray with and for us. There are many things on my mind as I think about the month of January, but my main request is that as we are apart as a family, all of us will draw nearer to the Lord for comfort and encouragement. When my children are sad, they often go to their mama for comfort. That is good and I am happy to comfort them, but I am not the best Comforter. I want them to know the comfort of their God's loving care for them even when I am an ocean away. Please pray specifically for Elijah and Esther to grow in their walk with The Lord during this time. Also pray for David and Esther to be able to comfort Zeke while he is apart from his "Big Mama." Esther is called his "Medium Mom," and she will give him more than enough hugs, I am sure. ;) 

I also know that caring for three children would be challenging for any single parent. It is my prayer that God will give David the patience, gentleness, tenderness and endurance to love and care for our children well while I am away. Not that I do that all perfectly, but it is certainly easier to share the load between two parents. I am praying that the Spirit will grant him extra "fruit" through this time. 

Of course it is also my hope and prayer that my tongue will be healed and any abnormal tissue will be removed and not return. I would love for this trial to be over, but more importantly, I want God to be glorified in the midst of it. I want us all to grow in our faith and love for our Good Shepherd whether we walk through the valley or I experience miraculous and complete healing. Please pray that as we prepare for our time apart, the glory of God would be our biggest concern. 

As I write this, it occurs to me that I am writing asking you to pray about something that is over a month away. I guess that indicates that I am anxious about it already. Esther has already had a few nights of crying about us being apart, and I have too. So maybe I should add a prayer that we would not live in fear or anxiety as we anticipate the month of January. There is so much to enjoy before then, David's birthday, Thanksgiving, Zeke's birthday, our family Christmas present (a safari trip), Christmas caroling to the children's homes at the orphanage, and celebrating the birth of Jesus! 

I hope you also will enjoy these next weeks and months as you celebrate with your families. Thank you for your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, as I read this my thoughts were about how wise it was to ask for prayer BEFORE you are in the midst of the travel time. During this time leading up to being apart God will prepare you and the family and securing prayer now is just what you should be doing.
    Praying for all of you,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! Been thinking about you all day. Praying for you, too. No doubt the separation will be hard, but know that lots of people are looking forward to seeing you on the other side!! :) We will be praying for David and the kids too!

    ReplyDelete