Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thanksgiving and Contentment

Today a very kind friend offered to watch all my kids while I went for a run. It was such a refreshing, encouraging and convicting time. Thank you, Christie Cook! I enjoy listening to sermons while I run, and today I listened to Ray Cortese's most recent sermon entitled "Old Paths: Contentment." It was just what I needed to listen to today. Here is a link, I highly recommend it! http://www.sevenrivers.org/mp3/2013/may/130526.mp3

This morning I was feeling anxious, surprise, surprise. (This is probably my biggest ongoing sin struggle.) I worry about all kinds of things, preparing to move my family to Uganda, broken septic line under the house, air condition repairs needed, pre-cancer on my tongue, money to cover all of these expenses, and still needing 15% of our monthly support for life and ministry in Uganda. All of this was on my mind as I set out for a run. The first part of the sermon was pretty convicting. But then I was reminded of the good news, that God loves me! It is so easy to think that smooth circumstances in life will bring me peace, but this is not true. True joy and peace are found only when my soul is fully satisfied in my Lord. During the last portion of my run I listened to the song that says, "Jesus satisfies all my longings, Through his blood I now am saved." Here is a recording of it on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgyCNjW220

It is so good to remember that I do not need to live in fear and worry, but I can have peace as I learn to trust my Lord more each day. Our Sunday school class last Sunday was about thankfulness. One of the antidotes to worry in my life, has been learning to thank God. So I am going to list a few things for which I am thankful.

  1. A beautiful house to rent in Uganda for the first 4 and a half months we are there
  2. A missionary family at GSF offering us their home while they are on furlough for 5 months after our first house
  3. Clean water to drink every day of my life
  4. Never going a day of my life without having food available for me to eat
  5. God providing all of our one-time support, and 85% of our monthly support needed 
  6. Loving and supportive families
  7. Loving and supportive church family
  8. Children who are excited to move to Uganda and show love to the orphans there
  9. Renters for our home here who even like to garden
  10. Friends offering to keep our dog, Ellie
  11. The opportunity to run
  12. Girlfriends who got together to have an early birthday celebration for me last night
All of these things and so many more are amazing blessings from the Lord, but the biggest blessing is that He has loved me  and made me His child and is taking care of me. It is my desire to "fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith." Hebrews 12:2 The God who created this world is working all things together for the good of "conforming me to the image of His Son." Romans 8:28-30 My loving father is the Good Shepherd! "I shall not be in want." Psalm 23:1 And I am so thankful that He has called us to serve his children at Good Shepherd's Fold in Uganda! 

32 days until take-off, Lord willing!

No comments:

Post a Comment