Monday, March 19, 2012

In the past several months, I have been often thinking about a quote from Jim Elliot. It was apparently in response to people suggesting that he not go to share the gospel with a violent tribe in South America. Going cost him his life, but years later members of that tribe trusted in Christ for their eternal salvation. Here is the quote:
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose."
I have been thinking mostly about material possessions, financial security and my plans for my family and the future. It seems ridiculous that after God has provided for us in so many ways in times of need, that I would worry about financial provision for the future. I always tell my children that everything is "God's" and he has graciously given us the opportunity to use it. "The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world and all who live in it." Psalm 24:1  Why then do I feel like these children and this house are mine? And why do I crave financial security? The recent economy, a very sick child I know, and all of our recent medical expenses should have taught me that I cannot "keep" all of theses things. What do I hope to gain, in being willing to go to Africa? Maybe the joy of helping missionary children in their education. Maybe the opportunity to share a bit of the Father's love with some orphans. Maybe the peace of knowing I am following the Lord wherever He leads. Ultimately, I just want to learn to not cling to anything but my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment